About: Dr Marlene Tham
- Role : Weight Loss Doctor & Obesity Researcher
- Website : http://melbourneweightloss.com
- Experience : General Practice and weight loss therapy since 2003. General Practice and obesity research including publications in local and International journals. Multiple awards for online weight management Redefine™ Program.
- Courses Submitted : RedefineTM CBT Weight Loss Program
- Specialist in : Weight loss and metabolic issues especially in the context of mental health disorders and medical issues related to being overweight. Also in emotional eating, binge eating and chaotic eating.
Dr Marlene Tham is a GP and a fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. She is a honorary research fellow at the Department of Psychiatry and the University of Melbourne and works as a weight loss specialist at Epworth Healthcare. Her strong academic background includes obesity research at the Mental Health Research Institute (MHRI) and the University of Melbourne, General Practice Department. She has presented at conferences at both a National and International level winning numerous prizes and awards for her contribution to obesity.
In 2007, Dr Tham was a recipient of the prestigious City of Melbourne Small Business Grant, where she was given funds to set up the inaugural Redefine™ Programme. In 2010, she was a finalist in 3 categories at the Telstra Business Women’s Awards. (Best company, most innovative and Young Business Owner) for the Redefine™ Programme.
Marlene’s sporting career includes representing her state and Australia in underage junior hockey and also at Women’s National Hockey League level. She also taught aerobics, tai-bo, body pump and specialised in an abdominal muscle programme for many years as a medical student.
Her recent publications include “The impact of psychotropics on weight gain” in the International Journal of Mental Health and “The role of the General Practitioner in weight management in primary care” published in BMC Family Practice.